Mitchell Hardman is a sophomore at Rabun Gap-Nacoochee School in Rabun Gap, Ga. Hardman's family owns Persimmon Creek Vineyards in north Georgia where he tries to implement new environmental technologies in the vineyard. Mitchell has been long interested in global energy needs and environmental issues. At school, Mitchell has helped with the installation of a small hydroelectric turbine, and he is currently working on expanding an existing solar array along with designing a school garden. At the vineyard, Mitchell helped install a nine kilowatt-hour solar array on his house, and he uses biodiesel made from local soybeans to operate the vineyard machinery. Currently, Hardman is working on a wood gasification reactor to power a gasoline generator. Hardman had the honor of receiving the Captain Planet Award in 2007 from the Captain Planet Foundation in Atlanta, Ga.
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
|"...The reality is it is my son's body to do with as he chooses! ..."
- by reader This Chick
- by reader Dale
- by reader Erin
MOST POPULAR ON MNN NOW
- Why does fall/autumn have 2 names?
- 11 things humans do that dogs hate
- Why dogs don't like to be hugged
- 10 habits you should pick up from your grandmother
- 8 things you didn't know about the autumnal equinox
- Scientists may have found link between artificial sweeteners and diabetes
- What a big nose you have! Dinosaur with massive schnoz discovered in Utah
- 15 commonly refrigerated foods that don't need to be
- What will humans look like in 100,000 years?
- 10 cooking staples that can outlast you