Mitchell Hardman is a sophomore at Rabun Gap-Nacoochee School in Rabun Gap, Ga. Hardman's family owns Persimmon Creek Vineyards in north Georgia where he tries to implement new environmental technologies in the vineyard. Mitchell has been long interested in global energy needs and environmental issues. At school, Mitchell has helped with the installation of a small hydroelectric turbine, and he is currently working on expanding an existing solar array along with designing a school garden. At the vineyard, Mitchell helped install a nine kilowatt-hour solar array on his house, and he uses biodiesel made from local soybeans to operate the vineyard machinery. Currently, Hardman is working on a wood gasification reactor to power a gasoline generator. Hardman had the honor of receiving the Captain Planet Award in 2007 from the Captain Planet Foundation in Atlanta, Ga.
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
|"...Broga? Really? Are they targeting college frat boys as a demo? ..."
- by reader StoJa
- by reader John M. Uscian
- by reader Highlowsel Smith
MOST POPULAR ON MNN NOW
- 12 plants that repel unwanted insects
- 13 natural remedies for the ant invasion
- 11 things humans do that dogs hate
- Map points the way for the ultimate U.S. road trip
- How fast could you travel across the U.S. in the 1800s?
- 3 recipes for homemade vegan mayonnaise
- How one small town became the 'Lavender Capital of North America'
- Do solar panels use more energy than they generate?
- 11 human foods dogs can eat and 5 they shouldn't
- Too beautiful to be real? 16 surreal landscapes found on Earth