Monica Quincy "MQ" Bernstein
Monica “MQ” Bernstein is a sophomore at H-B Woodlawn Secondary Program in Arlington, Va. Since a very young age, MQ has been involved with helping others. She has a great love of helping animals that has continued through her childhood. Instead of accepting gifts for her seventh and ninth birthday parties, MQ requested that money to be sent to the WWF to help pandas. At 13, MQ met with Gerry Ellis, the founder of Globio, to discuss giving money directly to Wolong, the panda reserve in Wenchuan country. During her Bat Mitzvah, she requested that people give donations to Globio, who would in turn send the money to Wolong. In addition to loving animals, she is bilingual, having gone to a Spanish-immersion elementary school, and she the only freshman in her school to complete the Spanish AP exam. She has become active in her school’s theater department and is a writer and an editor for her school’s paper, Verbum Sap Sat. MQ also volunteers at Inova Alexandria Hospital and is trying to improve her school’s recycling habits. Her plans for the future involve becoming a doctor (specifically a neurologist) so she can continue helping people.
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
|"...The reality is it is my son's body to do with as he chooses! ..."
- by reader This Chick
- by reader Dale
- by reader Erin
MOST POPULAR ON MNN NOW
- 11 things humans do that dogs hate
- What's the deal with cats and windows?
- Guess which cars are magnets for speeding tickets? (Hint: It's not the Ferraris)
- 50 whales may be a new (and very endangered) species
- 22 things you didn't know about hedgehogs
- 10 natural cough remedies
- 50 ways to reuse your garbage
- 11 startling stats about Earth's disappearing wildlife
- 15 famous people who mysteriously disappeared
- It's official: California is first state to outlaw single-use plastic shopping bags