Maddy Yozwiak recently graduated from the Ursuline School in New Rochelle, N.Y, and is heading to Yale College this fall. Though a lifelong vegetarian, she really started to take action in high school. After being selected a 2008 Weather Channel Eco-Ambassador, she began working towards greening her school. As co-president of the Environmental Awareness Club, she has organized a number of actions over the last two years in an effort to raise awareness and fight global warming. Maddy is also a member of her town government's Global Warming Citizen's Advisory Committee and a recipient of a Westchester County Community Sustainability Award in 2009. A self-professed solar energy nerd, she loves spending time with her solar panels as part of an independent research project.
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
|"...There may very well be wood types that are best split green, but red oak isn't one of them...."
- by reader LKS473
- by reader Steven
- by reader Erin
MOST POPULAR ON MNN NOW
- Little girl feeds crows; in return, they bring her gifts
- 5 mind-bending facts about dreams
- 11 things humans do that dogs hate
- 5 single-serve items to purge from your life
- 7 cultural concepts we don't have in the U.S.
- How to hike with your cat
- Get ready to tumble: An eco-friendly dryer sheet ... minus the sheet
- Stephen Hawking thinks these 3 things could destroy us
- 17-year-old invents water purifier powered by the sun
- Bras don't actually work, says French study