Russell Higgins RA
I started my career in alternative energy and energy conservation, what is now Green Design, Sustainable Design Green Architecture, Eco - Architecture and just plain saving energy!
When the world dropped the energy ball and I spent the years since just plain saving and rehabilitating buildings. There is no way to make a building Greener than by saving it from decay and demolition.
Just so happens my sojourn into rehabilitation overlapped with my prior work saving energy - moisture control. Rain, water vapor from a shower, humidity on hot summer day, wind driven air infiltration, and the roofing, siding, sealants, and membranes that control them are critical to the longevity of a building also directly and substantially dictate it's energy use!
Now the cycle of life has turned and solar energy in all it's forms, photovoltaic’s, wind generators, co-generation, conservation, super - insulation, recycling, re-use, life cycle costing, daylight, embedded energy, embedded carbon, carbon credits, water retainage, grey water recycling, VOC's, and indoor air quality are just all part of Green Design!
Check out www.roughdesigns.com for more on the history and feasibility of Green Building, Sustainability, Solar Energy including my DIY deep energy retrofit of "the old family house".
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
|"...The reality is it is my son's body to do with as he chooses! ..."
- by reader This Chick
- by reader Dale
- by reader Erin
MOST POPULAR ON MNN NOW
- Why dogs don't like to be hugged
- 11 things humans do that dogs hate
- Desert survival skills: Would you make it out alive? MNN quiz
- Extraordinary images from Iceland, a place of fire and ice
- When are you supposed to tip?
- Wildlife thrives in 'the most dangerous place on Earth'
- 10 ways to get 10 minutes of exercise
- Know your movie quotes? Take the quiz
- 13 natural remedies for the ant invasion
- Norwegian music stars Ylvis teach you how to tie the world's greatest knot