Russell Higgins RA
I started my career in alternative energy and energy conservation, what is now Green Design, Sustainable Design Green Architecture, Eco - Architecture and just plain saving energy!
When the world dropped the energy ball and I spent the years since just plain saving and rehabilitating buildings. There is no way to make a building Greener than by saving it from decay and demolition.
Just so happens my sojourn into rehabilitation overlapped with my prior work saving energy - moisture control. Rain, water vapor from a shower, humidity on hot summer day, wind driven air infiltration, and the roofing, siding, sealants, and membranes that control them are critical to the longevity of a building also directly and substantially dictate it's energy use!
Now the cycle of life has turned and solar energy in all it's forms, photovoltaic’s, wind generators, co-generation, conservation, super - insulation, recycling, re-use, life cycle costing, daylight, embedded energy, embedded carbon, carbon credits, water retainage, grey water recycling, VOC's, and indoor air quality are just all part of Green Design!
Check out www.roughdesigns.com for more on the history and feasibility of Green Building, Sustainability, Solar Energy including my DIY deep energy retrofit of "the old family house".
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
|"...The reality is it is my son's body to do with as he chooses! ..."
- by reader This Chick
- by reader Dale
- by reader Erin
MOST POPULAR ON MNN NOW
- 11 things humans do that dogs hate
- 5 sadly common reasons people fall out of love
- Vegan grocery list: Top 50 staples for a meat-free diet
- 25 creative ways to help animal shelters
- 10 natural cough remedies
- 'Cat Island' is a feline's purrfect paradise
- Oats: 12 recipes to get this super grain into your diet
- Edible plants you can find in the wild (or your backyard)
- How to maximize your workout if you are short on time
- Air umbrella can keep you dry with an invisible 'force field'