Russell Higgins RA
I started my career in alternative energy and energy conservation, what is now Green Design, Sustainable Design Green Architecture, Eco - Architecture and just plain saving energy!
When the world dropped the energy ball and I spent the years since just plain saving and rehabilitating buildings. There is no way to make a building Greener than by saving it from decay and demolition.
Just so happens my sojourn into rehabilitation overlapped with my prior work saving energy - moisture control. Rain, water vapor from a shower, humidity on hot summer day, wind driven air infiltration, and the roofing, siding, sealants, and membranes that control them are critical to the longevity of a building also directly and substantially dictate it's energy use!
Now the cycle of life has turned and solar energy in all it's forms, photovoltaic’s, wind generators, co-generation, conservation, super - insulation, recycling, re-use, life cycle costing, daylight, embedded energy, embedded carbon, carbon credits, water retainage, grey water recycling, VOC's, and indoor air quality are just all part of Green Design!
Check out www.roughdesigns.com for more on the history and feasibility of Green Building, Sustainability, Solar Energy including my DIY deep energy retrofit of "the old family house".
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
|"...The reality is it is my son's body to do with as he chooses! ..."
- by reader This Chick
- by reader Dale
- by reader Erin
MOST POPULAR ON MNN NOW
- 11 things humans do that dogs hate
- 7 cultural concepts we don't have in the U.S.
- Parallel worlds exist and interact with our world, say physicists
- 25 quotes that will rekindle your connection to nature
- Guns really do change the way you think
- Scientists successfully generate gasoline out of thin air
- Gadzooks! The truth behind not-so-innocent phrases
- 10 habits you should pick up from your grandmother
- How to clean brass naturally
- 10 Valentine's Day gift ideas for school