Russell Higgins RA
I started my career in alternative energy and energy conservation, what is now Green Design, Sustainable Design Green Architecture, Eco - Architecture and just plain saving energy!
When the world dropped the energy ball and I spent the years since just plain saving and rehabilitating buildings. There is no way to make a building Greener than by saving it from decay and demolition.
Just so happens my sojourn into rehabilitation overlapped with my prior work saving energy - moisture control. Rain, water vapor from a shower, humidity on hot summer day, wind driven air infiltration, and the roofing, siding, sealants, and membranes that control them are critical to the longevity of a building also directly and substantially dictate it's energy use!
Now the cycle of life has turned and solar energy in all it's forms, photovoltaic’s, wind generators, co-generation, conservation, super - insulation, recycling, re-use, life cycle costing, daylight, embedded energy, embedded carbon, carbon credits, water retainage, grey water recycling, VOC's, and indoor air quality are just all part of Green Design!
Check out www.roughdesigns.com for more on the history and feasibility of Green Building, Sustainability, Solar Energy including my DIY deep energy retrofit of "the old family house".
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
|"...There may very well be wood types that are best split green, but red oak isn't one of them...."
- by reader LKS473
- by reader Steven
- by reader Erin
MOST POPULAR ON MNN NOW
- Meet the cats that rule Facebook
- Weasel catches ride with woodpecker (Yes, it's real)
- Quokka selfies are taking the Internet by storm
- The Barefoot Farmer grows more than food
- No Big Bang? Universe may have had no beginning
- Little girl feeds crows; in return, they bring her gifts
- 'Under the Dome' air pollution documentary turns viral sensation
- 11 things humans do that dogs hate
- 7 inspiring, badass women
- 10 habits you should pick up from your grandmother