I am the author of Chasing the Ghost Birds: saving swans & cranes from extinction published in 2007. The book chronicles three ground-breaking avian conservation projects: returning trumpeter swans to the Midwest Flyway, saving North America's whooping cranes from near extinction, and saving Russia's dwindling Siberian cranes.
My house was built in 1865 and I'm always looking for ways of making the house greener without compromising its historic character. We have an Energy Star gas furnace (hot water heat) and appliances, and a flash water heater. We dry our clothes in the sun or on lines in the basement, insulate our windows and doors, and keep the thermostat at 68 F. or below. With 11- and 12-foot ceilings and ceiling fans, we avoid using the air conditioner on all but the hottest, muggiest nights. My wife Christal is a prolific knitter; her sweaters, caps, and mittens (and our two lap cats) keep us warm in Wisconsin winters. It helps that I'm half Norwegian--bred to be cold, wet, and seasick. The other half is mostly Scottish.
I am a professional writer specializing in aviation and health care. On assignment, I've fought forest fires in British Columbia, tracked cougars in the Everglades, piloted lots of airplanes and one helicopter, run away with the circus, volunteered at the Iditarod Sled Dog Race, and once wrestled a Bengal tiger. My hobbies include reading, photography, flying, riding my recumbent trike, scale model building, history, and travel.
My proudest accomplishment is raising two beautiful daughters. Now, if I can just get them out of college....
Two of my favorite quotes (both from unknown sources): "It is not necessary to change. Survival is not mandatory."
and "Freedom is a more interesting game than power. Power is about what you can control; freedom is about what you can unleash."
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
|"...The reality is it is my son's body to do with as he chooses! ..."
- by reader This Chick
- by reader Dale
- by reader Erin
MOST POPULAR ON MNN NOW
- Scientists successfully generate gasoline out of thin air
- Parallel worlds exist and interact with our world, say physicists
- 7 cultural concepts we don't have in the U.S.
- 11 things humans do that dogs hate
- 25 quotes that will rekindle your connection to nature
- Guns really do change the way you think
- 15 houseplants for improving indoor air quality: A breath of fresh air
- 11 human foods dogs can eat and 5 they shouldn't
- 13 natural remedies for the ant invasion
- Gadzooks! The truth behind not-so-innocent phrases