Sujay Tyle is a freshman at Harvard University in Cambridge, Mass. He attended high school at Pittsford Mendon High School in Rochester, N.Y. Since he was 10, he has conducted graduate-level science research on the production of ethanol as alternative energy using bacteria. Through his research, he has earned the titles of "Eco-Hero" from Action-for-Nature, "Eco-Ambassador" from the Weather Channel, and "The Best Young Scientist in New York" from the state Science Congress Competition. In April he was honored by the White House and the EPA as a recipient of the Presidential Environmental Youth Award. In addition, Sujay has worked with DuPont Co. on commercial production methods of cellulosic ethanol and may continue working with them in the future. Sujay recently founded his own nonprofit company, ReSight, Inc., which works with ophthalmological hospitals in Southern Asia to allow kids to have eye surgery when they cannot afford it. Sujay attended the Research Science Institute at MIT this summer while conducting physics research at Harvard University. He has served on the editorial board of the Democrat and Chronicle, upstate New York's leading newspaper.
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
|"...I'm sorry, but if my child were in a class with these two, I would pull him out...."
- by reader Karen
- by reader Tara
- by reader Kaiyotee
MOST POPULAR ON MNN NOW
- What dehydration can do to your body [Infographic]
- 6 tools to help predict how long you'll live
- 11 things humans do that dogs hate
- 13 natural remedies for the ant invasion
- Parallel worlds exist and interact with our world, say physicists
- Take a walk through a floating flower garden
- The Grand Canyon is under attack (from humans)
- Too beautiful to be real? 16 surreal landscapes found on Earth
- 7 cultural concepts we don't have in the U.S.
- How to clean brass naturally