- Select low-maintenance or slow-growing plants, grasses or flowers, such as coneflowers. (pictured)
- Reduce or eliminate plastic silt fencing and substitute with blankets, berms and filtersocks made of compost for erosion control.
- Switch from pressure-treated wood to plastic lumber for decks, benches and signs.
- When replacing an existing hardscape or structure, deconstruct, reuse and recycle all possible materials, including metal, wood, shingles, concrete and pavement.
- Minimize turf grass and paved areas — keep as much natural area as possible.