Before there was the White House kitchen garden, not long before but still before, there was The People’s Garden. The garden is on the grounds of the USDA’s Whitten Building in an area that used to be pavement, and its February 2009 ground breaking was a harbinger to Michelle Obama’s organic vegetable garden.
Last week, Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack announced a “weekly summer workshop series at 'The People's Garden' to teach area residents and tourists about the many aspects of growing a garden.”
The first workshop was held last Friday, but don’t worry – there are still many more to attend if you live in the Washington DC area or if you’re just visiting.
- June 26 - Gardening From the Ground Up: Improving Your Soil
- July 3 - Watering Your Lawn and Garden
- July 10 - Make-Up Day #1
- July 17 - Container Gardening and Window Boxes
- July 24 - Weeding and Removing Invasive Plants
- July 31 - Installing and Using Rain Barrels
- August 7 - Make-Up Day #2
- August 14 - Attracting Pollinators: Friends of Healthy Gardens
- August 21 - Inviting Wildlife with Bat Boxes and Other Backyard Habitats
- August 28 - Maximizing Your Harvest
- September 4 - Make-Up Day #3
- September 11 - Making and Using Compost
- September 18 - Choosing and Using Fertilizers
- September 25 - Fall Maintenance: Preparing Your Garden for Next Season
Workshops will be held rain or shine unless there is thunder or lightening or other dangerous weather.