Here are the specs of a hot property that’s recently entered the real estate market in the charming burg of Festus
- Recently renovated, 17,000 square-foot (!) home with three bedrooms and two baths.
- Set on 2.8 partially wooded acres but close to in-town amenities like shopping and dining.
- Spacious 400 square-foot kitchen with Jenn-Air cooktop and granite tile countertops; ideal for entertaining parties large and small.
- Energy is provided by geothermal and passive solar that keeps the home comfortable year round without air conditioning or a furnace.
- Water via on-site groundwater springs and waterfalls.
Did I mention that the home in question is also a cave
The five year labor o' love of Curt and Deborah Sleeper, this unique cave home is currently up for auction on eBay
for a starting bid of $30,000 (a paltry sum considering the square footage involved). After purchasing the historic, locally famous cave — Ted Nuget, Bob Seger, Ike and Tina Turner, and the MC5 all performed on a still-standing stage built inside of it — in 2003, the Sleeper family lived in a dehumidified tent on the property while transforming the cave into an inhabitable space. In May 2008, the home was approved for an occupancy permit.
The cave itself measures 15,000 square feet and is divided into three main chambers: The front chamber contains a majority of the finished three-bedroom house and an indoor pond; the middle chamber contains a second bath, storage, a groundwater spring accessible via cistern, and a laundry room; the back chamber contains the previously mentioned stage.
There you have it. Some people fantasize about living in the city while others dream of settling down in the country. And then there are those who would like nothing more than to hunker down every night in a 15,000 square-foot, low-carbon cave with a rock n' roll past. Paging Bruce Wayne ...
Posted 13 hours ago:
Posted 2 days, 17 hours ago:
Posted 3 days, 17 hours ago:
Posted 3 days, 21 hours ago: