Heating and cooling
Heating and cooling uses more energy than any other system in your home, and typically, it accounts for 46% of your utility bill. Luckily, there are ways to cut your energy use and environmental impact from up to 50%. Here are a few tips to get rolling:
- Set your thermostat as low as is comfortable in the winter and as high as is comfortable in the summer.
- Turn off exhaust fans (such as those in the kitchen or bathroom) within 20 minutes of cooking or bathing.
- If exhaust fans needs to be replaced, look for high-efficiency, low-noise models.
- In the cooler months, keep curtains open during the day to let warm sunlight in and closed at night to reduce the chill from cold windows.
- In the warmer months, keep curtains closed during the day to prevent solar gain.