Wildfires are rapidly spreading across California, forcing thousands of residents and animals to flee.

The Camp Fire near Sacramento has scorched more than 125,000 acres, and they are nowhere near containment. Firefighters are battling strong winds, low humidity and dry vegetation, elements that are causing the fires to spread so quickly.

As a result, residents had very little advanced warning to evacuate, and some had to leave their pets behind. Hundreds of animals and pets are in need of shelter, food and medical treatment.

From afar, it’s difficult to know how you can help, but there are concrete steps you can take:

As of Nov. 11, the North Valley Animal Disaster Group has taken in 1,365 animals in their shelters. The organization has teams of rescue workers behind the fire lines rescuing wild animals and pets and providing food and water. These teams then transport the animals to areas outside the evacuation road-blocks where other teams take the animals to veterinarians who are ready and eager to help. They are asking for monetary donations through their website or by mailing a check to NVADG, PO Box 441, Chico, CA 95927.

The Butte Humane Society is providing pet food and supplies to pets displaced by the fire. The organization is asking for a variety of food, beds, crates, toys, etc.

A second wildfire rages down south

Camp Fire Horses are spooked as the Woolsey Fire moves near Paramount Ranch on November 9, 2018 in Agoura Hills, California. (Photo: Matthew Simmons/Getty Images)

Further south near Los Angeles, the Woolsey Fire in Malibu has burned nearly 100,000 acres and displaced more than 265,000 people.

The County of Los Angeles Animal Care and Control has taken in more than 800 animals including 550 horses. They are also in need of monetary donations and bowls, crates and puppy pads.

Editor's note: This article has been updated since it was originally published in December 2017.

How to help animals affected by the wildfires
Hundreds of animals and pets have been displaced by the wildfires in California. Here's how you can help.