Our picks for the week of Jan. 2-8:
• Let's start the year off on an upbeat note, shall we? Here are eight surprising environmental heroes who are putting their money and fame to good use.
• Pie in all its forms — sweet, savory, bite-sized and beyond — is just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to the food trends of 2011.
• The cold month of January is a fine time to consider the coral reefs and tropical scenery of the Florida Keys.
• Speaking of resolutions ... if weight loss is on your agenda this year, you might want to read this.
• Blogger Shea Gunther shares 10 great, green Tumblr accounts you should follow.
• The first decade of the 21st century was ripe with discoveries and innovations in the animal kingdom, but it also saw some animals wiped from existence. Here are 10 animals newly presumed to be extinct.
• So many books, so little time? We feel your pain. We've boiled down the books of 2010 and created a short list of green must-reads. Enjoy.
• If you've got any time left over, thumb through "Zapped," in which Ann Louise Gittleman offers "1,268 Ways to Outsmart the Hazards of Electronic Pollution."
Plus: Don't miss the week in photos, which includes an inordinate number of people jumping into frigid waters ... for the fun of it. Stay warm!