• The pink blob above is deep-fried Kool-Aid. (Not kidding.) Now, please resist the urge to shudder away from this story, take a deep breath and consider these eight carnival foods that make cotton candy seem downright healthy.
• [skipwords]Hurricane[/skipwords] Irene is bearing down on the East Coast as we write this. What better time to consider how to prepare for a hurricane?
• MNN's Jim Motavalli knows that the rollout of electric and [skipwords]hybrid[/skipwords] cars is just getting started, but he's putting his neck out anyway. Here are our auto expert's picks for the 10 electric cars most likely to succeed.
• Along with the many joys of summer, there are some anoyances — and bugs top the list. Here's an ode to the six most pesky warm weather bugs.
• Russia isn't the first place to come to mind when you think of sharks, but two unusual shark attacks there have local officials declaring "open season" on the predatory fish.
• We're not sure if its the sense of whimsy or the allure of an alternative form of transportation, but these five houses with slides (right) have captured our imaginations.
• If you heard the news this week that Toyota and Ford are working together on a hybrid engine for SUVs and light trucks, here's the best explanation yet of why you should care.
• Pet expert Morieka Johnson tackles furry issues big and small. But for anyone who has owned a pet, this week's topic is a big one: How to deal with the grief of losing a pet.
• But let's not end the week on such a somber note. This collection of videos, the happiest dogs on YouTube, will remind you of the member of your family who's generally the most happy to see you.
Plus: Don't forget to check out the week in photos, including these chimps in China. Have a great week.