• The pink blob above is deep-fried Kool-Aid. (Not kidding.) Now, please resist the urge to shudder away from this story, take a deep breath and consider these eight carnival foods that make cotton candy seem downright healthy.
• Hurricane Irene is bearing down on the East Coast as we write this. What better time to consider how to prepare for a hurricane?
• MNN's Jim Motavalli knows that the rollout of electric and hybrid cars is just getting started, but he's putting his neck out anyway. Here are our auto expert's picks for the 10 electric cars most likely to succeed.
• Along with the many joys of summer, there are some anoyances — and bugs top the list. Here's an ode to the six most pesky warm weather bugs.
• Russia isn't the first place to come to mind when you think of sharks, but two unusual shark attacks there have local officials declaring "open season" on the predatory fish.
• We're not sure if its the sense of whimsy or the allure of an alternative form of transportation, but these five houses with slides (right) have captured our imaginations.
• If you heard the news this week that Toyota and Ford are working together on a hybrid engine for SUVs and light trucks, here's the best explanation yet of why you should care.
• Pet expert Morieka Johnson tackles furry issues big and small. But for anyone who has owned a pet, this week's topic is a big one: How to deal with the grief of losing a pet.
• But let's not end the week on such a somber note. This collection of videos, the happiest dogs on YouTube, will remind you of the member of your family who's generally the most happy to see you.
Plus: Don't forget to check out the week in photos, including these chimps in China. Have a great week.