Our picks for the week of Aug. 22-28:
• Ken Edelstein goes back to southern Louisiana, a place that holds lessons for all of us on the power of human error.
• The U.S. endangered species list isn't all gloom and doom — just ask a bald eagle. But for every species saved, another 93 have been added to the list, raising concerns we're losing wildlife faster than we can save it.
• Maybe your kids are a bit older? Our family blogger offers 10 green tips for college students heading off to school.
• Eureka Springs in Arkansas remains a popular tourist destination. Some people visit to experience the historic vibe of the city, some to enjoy the modern spa scene and others to explore the surrounding rivers and natural areas.
• Let's wrap things up with a taste of the offbeat. Check out these sky-high stilettos that have repurposed into planters.
Plus: Don't miss the week in photos, including an egret's graceful fast-food run (above.)