Our picks for the week of Aug. 29-Sept. 4:
• "No More Dirty Looks" — a new book by Siobhan O’Connor (pictured above, left) and Alexandra Spunt (above, right) — uncovers the ugly underbelly of conventional beauty products.
• If you like this penguin moment (above), then you won't want to miss the best animal photos from August.
• Mother Nature does some strange things to get our attention. Don't miss this collection of wacky weather events.
• Our green destination this week is Calgary, but don't let this oil capital fool you — this town has some serious environmental cred.
• Not all the headlines are bad and our Planet Pundit isn't always cantankerous. Ken Edelstein sees hope in clean energy.
• A new marketing blitz could turn baby carrots into the next lunchbox superstar.
• You don't want to miss this story about refugees from Burundi who have found solace and a hint of home in Atlanta garden.
• Our new political writer raises four questions about the proposed eco-grades for cars. Is it a good idea?
• The standoff at Discovery Channel headquarters this week is a reminder that eco-terrorism is alive and well. Here's a brief history of environmental extremism.
• Some animals get all the breaks. Then there's the other end of the spectrum. Here are 13 of the ugliest animals on the planet.
PLUS: Don't miss the week in photos, including this image of a local man (above) watching smoke billow from foam waste at a dump in China.