Our picks for the week of Oct. 17-23:
• What's so scary about regular old shower curtains? Our home expert explains the inner workings of phthalates, PVC and ... mold. Plus: Since we're focused on scary topics, here are seven quirky Halloween costumes for a group.
• But enough scary thoughts. Relax and enjoy the scenery (left) with a trip to Jackson Hole, Wyo. Hint: Go in the spring or the fall and avoid the crowd.
• Some urban jungles offer surprisingly good accessibility to nature. We've compiled a gallery of 15 American cities for people who love the outdoors.
• Meet Tama the cat: Read how a cute feline helped turn around Japan's ailing train system.
• Hurricane season isn't over until November, but here are some facts about hurricanes that will surprise even the know-it-alls.
• The troubled economy has taken a bite out of nonprofits. Our expert offers six ways to support your favorite charities — in lieu of a big check.
• And speaking of doing good, ever heard of the Cradle of Hope? Read more about this special crib invention for homeless infants.
Plus: Don't miss the week in photos, and see the moon pass in front of the sun.