Our picks for the week of July 17-23:
• It was supposed to be Carmageddon in L.A., but instead the two-day closure of the busiest freeway in Los Angeles reiterated a timeless lesson about cars: We lose less than we think when we make them a lower priority in our cities.
• Do you love animals but can't have any as pets because you're allergic? Think again. We've rounded up 10 of the best pets for allergy sufferers.
• The U.S. has enough oil and natural gas pipelines to circle the Earth 100 times. In light of the Yellowstone oil spill and other recent disasters, now's a good time to examine the risks of aging pipelines.
• If a celebrity endorsement persuades kids to use a phone app that prevents on-the-road texting, emailing and phone use, our auto blogger, Jim Motavalli, can't complain. But, for the record, Justin Bieber refused to take his call.
• This Shell gas station in North Carolina is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It is but one of 14 bizarre gas stations worth a visit.
• 'Captain Planet' is going to be transformed into a live-action movie hero. You've heard it all before, you say? This time it's for real.
• Can a 72,000-square-foot home be considered eco-friendly? A concrete kingpin, who's building an energy-efficient "residential chateau" in rural Missouri that's built to withstand an F-5 tornado, thinks so.