Our picks for the week of May 22-28, 2011:
• As Memorial Day approaches, we honor 11 of the bravest dogs in history. (That's Smoky pictured above. You'll be impressed with this little guy's story, we promise.)
• Has a summertime read ever left you geographically confused? Never let that happen again with this beach-specific summer reading list.
• If you've running again after a hiatus, you'll want to read this story about all those brave (crazy?) people running with no shoes on.
• Tim Pawlenty announced his presidential plans this week. Here's what you need to know about his environmental record. (It's tricky.)
• Ever wonder what you should do if you see a stray dog? Our pet expert, Morieka Johnson, shares her experience with a sweet dog named Honey and offers simple steps on how to safely help a pooch in need.
• Here's a story you don't see everyday: Jerko is a houseboat floating on a canal in Brooklyn. That's not so unusual, you say, but here's the catch: that canal is a Superfund site.
• This week we're taking you on a virtual vacation to Penang Island, Malaysia, one of the most unique locales in Southeast Asia.
Plus: Don't forget to check out the week in photos, with striking images from the tornado-ravaged Midwest and even a map of the universe. Have a safe week.
Inset photo: Jon Hadley/Flickr