Our picks for the week of June 19-25:
• The Edge is best known as the talented guitarist for U2, but he's known in Malibu, Calif., as the guy who wants to build five eco-mansion on an environmentally sensitive hillside.
• Gwyneth Paltrow's cookbook is just one element of our food-focused green book roundup. She's sharing some sweet family recipes while Ben Hewitt digs into food safety. This week's books offer a range of insights, ideas and inspiration for transforming our relationship with food.
• Our family blogger shares how her opinions about childhood vaccinations have changed over the last decade. Come join the conversation.
• Whales have enchanted humans ever since we first set out to sea, with early mariners often mistaking them for sea monsters. Here are 10 whales that stand out in history.
• Here's a question we've all been asking this week: how can I maintain my appearance in 100-degree heat? Matt Hickman offers some helpful solutions.
• Rare earth metals: They're crucial to hybrid cars, wind turbines and many other green-tech innovations, but these elusive metals also have an environmental dark side.
• Jon Huntsman, former governor of Utah and U.S. ambassador to China, is running for president. Here's what you need to know about his environmental record.
• Beachcombers, walkers, foodies, architecture buffs and shoppers will find plenty to do in this week's destination: Barcelona.
• Let's take a walk into the garden to find 10 amazing healing plants you can find in your backyard.
• And finally, there are plenty of ancient cities worth mention, but here are 12 of the oldest continuously inhabited cities. Enjoy
Plus: Don't forget to check out the week in photos, including the cool yoga gathering in Times Square, below.