What you're seeing now: The Coast Guard says BP has been forced to remove a cap that was containing some of the oil, according to AP. Coast Guard Adm. Thad Allen says an underwater robot bumped into the venting system. That sent gas rising through vent that carries warm water down to prevent ice-like crystals from forming in the cap.
Allen says the cap has been removed and crews are checking to see if crystals have formed before putting it back on.
Editor's note: The video above has been updated with a feed from Ustream.TV. Please be aware, this is a live stream and may freeze or be unavailable from time to time.
For more details on the BP oil spill and offshore drilling in general, check out these related links from MNN:
- Infographic: Gulf oil spill by the numbers
- Interactive: The pros and cons of offshore drilling
- Breakdown: Types of offshore oil rigs
- Photos: Animals caught in the oil spill
- Video: Oil spill in Gulf Coast marshes
- Keep up with the ongoing story at MNN