Surely by now you've heard of the 'Elf on the Shelf.' It's a store-bought family tradition that's caught on life wildfire over the last few years. But even though its origins are commercial in nature, the family fun it brings - at least for now - is as individual as the family it joins. The idea is that the Elf (who comes with his or her own storybook) resides in the home as a special scout sent from the North Pole to keep track of Santa's naughty and nice lists.
Some folks leave their elf on a shelf and remind their kids that "Santa is watching," throughout the holiday season. Others go all-in with their elf -- designing outfits, creating elaborate scenes of mischief, and leaving candy, scavenger hunts, and other gifts for their kids to find every morning.
No matter what kind of elf family you have, you may need some ideas on keeping the magic alive all season long. Here are 10 fantastic 'Elf on the Shelf' ideas sure to please everyone in your family.
1. For the art lover. (Say It Don't Spray It)
2. For the mischievous. (Momma Melly)
3. For the Harry Potter fan. (Shelf The Elf)
4. For the salty dog. (Elf on the Shelf Ideas)
5. For the hide and seeker (Lovely Life of Leah)
6. For the zipliner (A Bit of Bees Knees)
7. For the fitness fanatic (The Nicks Family)
8. For the Buddy fan (Living Locurto)
9. For the couch potato (Eclectically Vintage)
10. For the overachiever (Home Stories A to Z)
Related posts on MNN: