Over the years, I've talked to a number of parents who told me they wished they could do more to celebrate Earth Day with their kids, but they just don't have time for a lot of fancy crafts or day-long outdoor activities. Who does?!? Fortunately, there are all kinds of things you can do to commemorate Earth Day with your kids. Here are 22 ideas to get you started:
1. Go for a nature walk.
2. Ride bikes.
3. Have a picnic.
4. Make a paint chip mosiac of the Earth.
5. Serve a vegetable and fruit flower snack.
6. Plant a garden.
7. Decorate a recycling box.
8. Pick up litter in your neighborhood or at a local park.
9. Go canoeing.
10. Make a batch of Earth Day cookies.
11. Go wading in a creek.
12. Make an Earth Day suncatcher.
13. Go for a hike in your favorite national park.
14. Create a craft from nature.
15. Read "The Lorax."
16. Build a solar oven (and use it to bake your Earth Day cookies!)
17. Plant a tree.
18. Leave the car at home and walk or bike all day.
19. Buy local.
20. Go meat-free.
21. Turn off the tap.
22. Be outside.
Earth Day means different things to different people. Find what works for your and your family and do it!
Happy Earth Day!