Are you ready to meet your child's teacher? Many schools offer informal "Meet the Teacher" Days a week or so before school officially begins. It's a great time for both you and your kids take a look around the new classroom and get to know your child's teacher. You can chat with your child's new teacher and get a feel for her classroom policies, homework schedule, and communication preferences. Even if your school doesn't organize a meet the teacher event, you can still set up a time for a quick conference before the school year gets underway. It will be well worth it if it helps to avoid any nasty surprises later in the school year.
Here are seven questions you'll want to ask your child's teacher at the beginning of the year:
- What subjects and skills will my child be working on this year?
- How much time do you expect your students to spend on homework?
- How do you evaluate students? Do tests, attendance and homework all count towards grades?
- What standardized tests will be administered this year?
- What can I do to support your teaching at home?
- How do you prefer to be contacted (email, phone, text, notes from home)
- Do you have any class policies I should know about?
Need more getting back into school mode? Check out these posts: