Whether you choose an OB-GYN or a midwife to care for you during your pregnancy, you will want to make sure that you are on the same page regarding your prenatal care and the delivery of your baby. Your health care provider will be your guide to caring for the medical and emotional needs of you and your baby throughout your pregnancy and even after your baby’s birth. Talk to her about your concern for the environment and your desire to have a green pregnancy and delivery. Use these questions as a guide to determine whether or not she will support you in your efforts to go green.
- Do you support my decision to make my pregnancy and delivery as health and natural as possible?
- Can you suggest ways that I can make my delivery and pregnancy greener?
- What types of pain management do you recommend for delivery?
- How many of your patients deliver via C-Section as compared to vaginally?
- What is your criteria for performing (or recommending) a C-Section?
- What can I bring with me (or have at home) to ensure that my delivery room is as green as practical?
If your health care provider is an OB-GYN, she may have limited control over the eco-friendly practices at the hospital where you deliver. But she may be able to help support your choices and offer suggestions to ensure that your needs, and the needs of your baby, are met in a way that is as gentle and environmentally-friendly as possible.