Got almonds? Just say 'no'
Ellen Unsworth caught her dog Tomis with his paws on the coffee table as he greedily gobbled a bowl of almonds and raisins. Although veterinarians treated Tomis for possible food poisoning from the raisins, which are toxic to dogs, a pesky almond caused the most damage. Tomis had managed to snort one and it had to be surgically removed — after being detected in a CT scan.
Pet tip: Keep pets and goodies separated during parties, especially when you serve food that can be potentially toxic (apricots, chocolate, Macadamia nuts). Once the party ends, be sure to check for items that may have dropped on the floor.