“The dog ate my homework” is one of the oldest excuses in the book, but it’s the story 13-year-old Payton Moody gave her teacher after her yellow Labrador ate her science project.

Payton had spent hours creating a candy-covered volcano and securing it with more than 50 straight pins.

“She had chocolate as the mountain and used Twizzlers for lava coming out, with blue M&Ms for water,” Payton’s mother, Kara Moody, told GoodMorningAmerica.com. “She used the pins because I didn’t want the hot glue gun around her younger brother.”

Reggie dog X-rayWhile the family was at their son’s football game on Oct. 20, Reggie, their 2-year-old dog, knocked the volcano off Payton’s desk and ate the entire thing.

When they returned, the Moodys rushed Reggie to the Veterinary Specialty and Emergency Hospital in Englewood, Colo., where he underwent surgery for the straight pins he’d consumed, as well as the dangerous amount of chocolate, which is toxic to dogs.

“They were able to take most of the pins out with an endoscopy, but there were still six or so in the stomach, so I was called to take the remaining pins out through surgery,” said Dr. Brian Van Vechten.

After a two-day hospital stay, Reggie made a full recovery and returned home.

Payton built another candy volcano — using glue instead of pins this time — and earned an “A” on her project.

Related on MNN:

Laura Moss writes about a variety of topics with a focus on animals, science, language and culture. But she mostly writes about cats.

Dog eats more than just homework
The 2-year-old Labrador ate a candy-covered science project held together with straight pins, but he's since made a full recovery.