Ninety-one percent of pet owners
consider their pets to be family members
, and how do we celebrate our loved ones' birthdays? With cake, of course.
We've already had a couple canine cake recipes
taste-tested by man's best friend, and now we've got one for the felines in our lives.
Cats and dogs have different taste receptors and nutritional needs, so when you're baking for them, you'll require very different ingredients.
For example, cats are carnivores and are unable to taste sweets
, so a kitty cake will bypass the fruit and peanut butter and focus on every feline's favorite: fish.
Prep time: 5 minutes
Total time: 20-25 minutes
Yield: 2 cakes
Cat Birthday Cake Ingredients
3/4 can tuna or salmon
3 tablespoons shredded cheese
3 tablespoons flour*
*While the recipe calls for all-purpose flour, you can replace it with coconut flour if your cat is on a grain-free diet
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Break up tuna or salmon if necessary.
- Mix ingredients together.
- Scoop batter into two cups of a greased muffin pan.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes.
- If you'd like to get a little more festive, you can top the cake with a gravy "icing" or garnish with a cooked shrimp or a pinch of catnip.
- Be sure to let the cakes cool before serving. If your cat has trouble biting into the cake, you can break it up to make it easier for him to bite and chew.
What did my kitties think of the cakes? Take a look at the photos below to find out.
Photos: Cody Wellons
Related on MNN:
How to make a birthday cake for your cat
Celebrate your feline friend's birth with this fishy and festive kitty cake recipe.