I’ve learned a lot about wine over the past couple of years, but I am by no means a wine expert. My novice status is most obvious during the holidays. I'm always in search of good choices for Thanksgiving wine, and I've yet to find that red wine that goes well with both my turkey and cranberry sauce. Everyone suggests Pinot Noir for turkey, but I'm not a fan.
I learned through Local Wine Events about Holiday Entertaining Uncorked, a free webinar that will be held Nov. 9, 2010, at 7 p.m. EDT. Hosted by sommelier Laurie Forster, The Wine Coach, the webinar will cover these holiday wine topics (and hopefully how to chose a red that goes with both turkey and cranberry sauce).
- Finding the perfect wines to purchase and have on hand during the holidays.
- The keys to food and wine pairings for cocktail parties and holiday feasts.
- A line-up of wine and cheese combinations that will make your next gathering a breeze.
- How to estimate how much wine to purchase for your gatherings.
- Some great holiday gift ideas for the wine lover or “cork dork” on your list.
I’ve signed up for the webinar, and I thought I’d let the rest of you know about it in case it sparked your interest. I don’t see any evidence that Forster is going to address sustainable wines specifically, but it should be fairly easy to find the varieties of wines she suggests from sustainable vineyards. At the end of the webinar, participants will have an opportunity to ask questions.
Take a look at this video by Forster on how to use a waiter’s corkscrew if you’d like to get an idea of her style before you decide to sign up for the event.