The cocktail I have planned for my What to drink this weekend post later today calls for cinnamon simple syrup. It's very easy to make and can be used to flavor coffee, tea or hot apple cider, poured over fruit for an easy dessert, stirred into oatmeal or other hot breakfast cereals, and of course, used to flavor cocktails.
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- Add all ingredients to a small sauce pan, bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Strain into a bottle and allow to cool. (Keep the cinnamon sticks to use as a garnish if you’ll be using the syrup in a cocktail.)
- For a stronger cinnamon flavor, take the pan off the heat, cover with a lid and allow the cinnamon to steep for a longer period of time before removing.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to one month.