- 12 leaves fresh basil
- Pinch of kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 8 ounces mozzarella, preferably fresh fior di latte style
- 1 1⁄2 pounds small or medium eggplant
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 slices crusty bread
Prep time: 15 min
Total time: 15 min
Tear the basil leaves into small pieces and place in a bowl or mortar with a pinch of salt.
Mash with the back of a spoon or a pestle until nearly liquefied.
Stir in the mayonnaise and let stand for an hour or so to allow the flavors to blend.
Combine the olive oil and garlic and set aside.
Slice the cheese across the grain and leave it out of the refrigerator for at least 20 minutes before assembling the sandwiches.
- Slice the eggplant crosswise about 1⁄4 inch thick and sprinkle with a little salt and pepper.
Grill over a moderately hot fire (or broil about 3 inches from a preheated broiler), basting with the garlic-flavored oil after each turn, until tender and nicely browned.
Remove from the heat and top each slice with mozzarella.
Toast the bread slices on the same fire, then spread a little basil mayonnaise on one or both slices before making the sandwiches.
- Sliced tomatoes always go well with eggplant, mozzarella and basil.
- Try aioli in place of the basil mayonnaise.
Which beer should I drink with this?
The Microbrew Lover’s Cookbook
From The Microbrew Lover’s Cookbook, Copyright © 2002 by Jay Harlow. Used by arrangement with Jay Harlow.
Photo: Thai Food Blog/Flickr