- 1 jar (16 ounces) Italian-style mixed pickled vegetables (giardiniera)
- 1⁄2 cup pitted green olives
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 ounces thinly sliced dry salami
- 4 ounces thinly sliced deli-style ham
- 4 ounces thinly sliced cheese of your choice
- 4 soft sesame-topped sandwich rolls
Prep time: 10 min
Total time: 10 min
Drain the vegetables and olives, and chop together into fine dice.
Combine with the garlic and oil and refrigerate if not using right away.
For each sandwich, layer the meats, and then the cheese on the bottom half of a roll, then top with a generous layer of the olive salad.
Wrap the sandwich tightly and store for at least 2 hours at room temperature; refrigerate if keeping longer than 3 or 4 hours.
Makes 4 sandwiches.
Good to know
In the Italian-style delis of New Orleans, where this sandwich was born, it is usually made on a large round loaf and cut into wedges. This is not just a matter of convenience; the sandwich actually tastes better several hours after it is made, when the flavors of the garlicky olive and vegetable salad have soaked into the bread.
What beer should I drink with this?
The Microbrew Lover’s Cookbook
From The Microbrew Lover’s Cookbook, Copyright © 2002 by Jay Harlow. Used by arrangement with Jay Harlow.