One of the first things I learned to make in the kitchen was soup. I can’t explain why I've been so attracted to soups all of my life, but few meals leave me as richly satisfied as a big bowl of soup served with buttered bread and a green salad.
Historically, we've been making soups as long as we've been cooking, and this easy method of meal-making is just as useful today. Soups are frugal, satisfying, nourishing, and easily adaptable — all good reasons to enjoy delicious soups this fall and winter.
If you're looking for some new soup recipes, look no further. These will get your mouth watering and your tummy rumbling.
1. Tomato and Bread Soup: A simple, traditional soup that is perfect for using up day-old bread.
2. Miso Brown Rice Congee: Congee is a cross between a grain porridge and a savory soup. It’s a traditional Asian concoction that produces lovely, hearty meals. This is a recipe from my cookbook, "Ladled: Nourishing Soups for All Seasons."
Photo: Kimi Harris
3. Simple Thai Soup: If I had to make one soup recipe every week, this would be it. It’s so easy to make, and so delicious! (Also from my soup cookbook).
4. Roasted Garlic Soup: Roasting the garlic tames the sharpness for a delicious mellow soup.
5. Curry Ginger Carrot Soup: Well spiced, frugal, and healthy, this carrot soup is lovely for a quick lunch.
6. Miso Noodle Soup with Greens and Pork Ribs: This Asian-inspired noodle dish can be made grain-free, and it's rich and filling.
7. Curry and Maple Sweet Potato Soup: A mix of sweet flavors and spice, this hearty soup is a stick-to-your-ribs type of soup.
8. Split Pea Soup: An old favorite that is hearty and filling, this is another one that's easy to make.
9. Asian Mushroom Soup: A light Asian soup full of vegetables!
10. Creamy Mushroom and Polenta Soup: This rich mushroom soup is sure to satisfy on a cold evening.
Photo: Jaymi Heimbuch
11. Vegetarian French Onion Soup: Who says vegetarians can’t enjoy this classic soup? Enjoy it without the meat stock with this recipe.
12. Pasta e Fagioli: This classic Italian soup is a real family pleaser, plus it's frugal!
13. Coconut Milk Soup with Salmon and Kale: This healthy soup is well flavored with a combination of sweet, spicy and savory flavors.
14-21. 8 Italian Wedding Soup Recipes: Whether you're going for a vegetarian version or traditional, there's something here for everyone.
22. Garden Vegetable Soup: This easily adaptable soup can work with a wide variety of vegetables.
23. Roasted Pumpkin Soup: Pumpkin is not just for pie! Enjoy this savory take on pumpkin for a lovely fall or winter meal.
24. Tuscan Bread Soup: Another version of this hearty favorite, this bread soup is easy to make and satisfying.
25. Indian Spiced Tomato Soup: This vegetarian soup is a thick tomato soup with a lot of flavor.
26. Potato Leek Soup with Bacon: Because bacon makes everything better, including soup!
Photo: Kimi Harris
(Note: The next four recipes are all pdf files. If you have any trouble downloading them, just go to this link and scroll down.)
27. Chinese Egg Drop Soup (pictured above): Homemade is so much better than restaurant soup!
28. Mexican Cauliflower Soup: This simple soup is so flavorful and healthy.
29. Garam Masala Chickpea Soup: Hearty and creamy, this soup uses my favorite spice mix, garam masala.
30. Italian Zucchini and Sausage Soup: This recipe is a favorite family recipe from my husband’s side.