Cinnamon – it’s one of those spices that somehow make anything better. Now that fall is in full swing, cinnamon is everywhere. We can find traces of it in our soups, baked goods, our desserts, and even in the air.
And really, cinnamon is worth celebrating this fall, as its spicy flavor is not only delicious, but it can also be very health-promoting. For example, cinnamon has been linked to lower blood sugar in diabetic patients (that is, as long as you don't consume it in the dessert recipes below!). Some studies even show that cinnamon could help fight tumors.
Whether you love it for its health-promoting attributes or simply its lovely taste, here are some recipes that use it well.
Pumpkin Ravioli (Photo: stu_spivack/Flickr)
- Wok Smoked Chicken: This dish sounds amazing, and yes, cinnamon is an important ingredient.
- Chicken Curry with Cashews: This healthy main dish uses a cinnamon stick, broken into pieces for lots of flavor.
- Curried Chicken: Cinnamon is a flavorful spice among many in this curry.
- Turkish Pilaf: A delightful way to use cinnamon in a savory dish
- Vegan Pumpkin Ravioli: This recipes allows you to use two fall ingredients!
- Tandoori Chicken Sandwiches: Cinnamon is used in a delicious spice combination to make this amazing sandwich.
Photo: Kimi Harris
- Pumpkin Pie Smoothie: The cinnamon in the spice mixture is what helps this smoothie taste like pumpkin pie.
- Pumpkin Butter: Spread this on your breakfast toast! (The cinnamon is in the pumpkin pie spice mix).
- Spiced Muffins (Gluten/Dairy/Egg-free): These are a lovely way to enjoy cinnamon and a lovely start to the day.
- Apple Crisp: A recipe so healthy you can eat it for breakfast!
- Why not make pancakes with a cinnamon butter? It’s a great way to start the day.
- Creamy quinoa with coconut milk and spices: A hearty way to enjoy a spiced breakfast.
- Why not try this cinnamon spiced, grain-free coffee cake?
Aztec Chocolate Bark (Photo: Enrique Gili)
- Ginger Pumpkin Pie: Ginger, cinnamon and more spice make this delightful favorite.
- Super Simple Apple Crisp and Apple Crisp: Two lovely takes on an easy, delicious, cinnamon-spiked dessert.
- Spiced Crumb Apple Pie: Of course, apple pie is always good too.
- This Pumpkin Bread and this Banana Bread make great gifts.
- Pumpkin Bread Pudding: Pumpkin and cinnamon belong together in yet another delicious dessert.
- Candied Walnut Recipe: These make a great gift!
- Aztec Chocolate Bark: This recipe has spicy flavor and chocolate too.
- Baked Apples: A healthy, easy way to enjoy apples and cinnamon.
- Creamy Oolong Iced Tea: This healthy drink is great after a workout and includes several healthy spices.
- Spiked Apple Cider: Cinnamon is hardly the only ingredient spiking this cider!
- Pumpkin Liquor: Vanilla, pumpkin, cinnamon, maple syrup. Need I say more?
- Hot Toddy: Cinnamon adds spicy flavor to an old fashioned hot drink.
- Paleo Pumpkin Spice Latte: Because even coffee likes cinnamon!
- Chai Egg Nog: Two favorites combined.
- Chai Concentrate: Also a great gift, and uses cinnamon sticks!