Tell me if this has ever happened to you. You find a bottle of salad dressing on the door of your refrigerator. You look at the date. Its "best by" date was three months ago. You sniff it. It seems fine. You take a little taste. It tastes just like it did the day you opened the bottle — probably over a year ago. You use it and think, "I really should stop eating things like this."
I’m sure I’m not the only one who has ever done that.
For a recent party, I decided that the old bottle of ranch dressing in the refrigerator needed to go. I needed to find a recipe to make my own ranch dressing for a dip for the vegetables. Turning to my go-to recipe site, allrecipes.com, I found a recipe titled Ranch Dressing II that looked workable. After reading many of the comments, I tweaked the recipe slightly and came up with a ranch dressing that is so delicious. I will never buy a bottle of ranch dressing or a tub of ranch dip again.
Here is the recipe that I used. You can use organic mayonnaise, sour cream and buttermilk if you’d like. Even if you don’t, the ingredients in this are a lot better than anything you’ll find on the grocery store shelf. If your job is to bring the salad (and dressings) or veggies and dip to dinner or party, you’ll want to make this.
- ½ c mayonnaise
- ½ c sour cream
- ½ c buttermilk
- 1 tbsp fresh, finely chopped parsley
- ¾ tsp dried dill weed
- ½ tsp dried chives
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp onion powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
Combine all ingredients and allow to sit in the refrigerator for at least four hours for the flavors to mingle and the dip to thicken a bit. Overnight is even better.
- If you’re looking for a thicker dip, try increasing the mayo to ¾ cup and decreasing the buttermilk to ¼ cup.
- Next time I make this, I want to use fresh chives. I’d probably use 2 tsp of fresh chives in place of the ½ tsp dried.
- One reviewer on the website said that adding blue cheese (I would guess blue cheese crumbles) to the recipe makes it a great dip for wings. Yum.
- I made it several hours before the party, and it was very good, but a full 24 hours later, it was even better. If you’re able to, make it a day ahead of time. If you can’t, it will still be good.