I frequently make my own hummus, but I also buy it on occasion. When I do buy it, I sometimes buy Sabra, and in fact, there's some in my refrigerator right now. So when I woke up this morning to the news that Sabra is recalling 30,000 cases of its Classic Hummus, I had to check to see if what I have right now is part of the recall. Fortunately, it’s not.
According the FDA’s recall page, Sabra Dipping Company has issued a nationwide voluntary recall of select SKUs of its Classic Hummus due to possible contamination from Listeria monocytogenes. Although there have been no reported illnesses from the hummus, don’t take your chances if you have some of the recalled products in your home.
Listeria monocytogenes is an organism that can cause serious and sometimes fatal infections in young children, frail or elderly people, and others with weakened immune systems. Although healthy individuals may suffer only short-term symptoms such as high fever, severe headache, stiffness, nausea, abdominal pain and diarrhea, Listeria infection can cause miscarriages and stillbirths among pregnant women.
- Sabra Classic Hummus 10 oz; SKU 040822011143 / 300067
- Sabra Classic Hummus 30 oz; SKU 040822014687 / 300074
- Sabra Class Hummus without Garnish 32 oz; SKU 040822342049 / 301216
- Sabra Classic Hummus 17oz Six Pack; SKU 040822017497 / 301290
- Hummus Dual Pack Classic/Garlic 23.5oz; SKU 040822342209 / 301283
Related on MNN: