My husband says the best thing about Thanksgiving dinner is the Thanksgiving sandwiches we have the next day. If you’ve never had one, they are simple to make. You put leftover turkey, stuffing, and cranberry sauce between two pieces of toast with a little salt and mayo. Yum.
Our business blogger Melissa recommends making turkey and rice soup with the leftovers. She says her dad makes the best. Our technology blogger Karl uses his leftover tofu turkey cutlets in stir-fry. And our lifestyle blogger Siel likes her leftovers cold, straight from the fridge.
If you’re looking for some ideas for the leftovers in your refrigerator, here are some winners.
- Turkey Pot Pie – This recipe will use up your leftover turkey plus the extra celery and onion in your fridge if you bought too much for your stuffing.
- Turkey Frittata – Leftover turkey with cheddar and potatoes make a leftover dish that’s out of the ordinary.
- Mom’s Turkey Soup – The entire turkey carcass and the giblets are used to make stock for this hearty noodle soup.
- Crispy Mashed Potato Pancakes – Egg, oil, and a couple of seasonings are added to leftover mashed potatoes to make an all new side dish.
- Mashed Potato Soup – This is how Rachel Ray uses up leftover mashed potatoes from Thanksgiving.
- Irish Potato Bread – If you have a bread machine, you can throw this together after cleaning up on Thanksgiving night, and wake up to warm, delicious fresh bread for breakfast the next day.
- Caramel Apple Bread Pudding – If your rolls and bread have gone a little stale the day after Thanksgiving, turn them into this sweet dessert.
- Croutons – Here are easy directions for plain or herbed croutons from leftover bread.
- Overnight French Toast – Throw everything together the night before, let sit overnight, and simply pop this breakfast casserole in the oven. Perfect to feed holiday weekend guests.
Lasagne di Tacchino (Turkey Lasagna) – This lasagna recipe has no pasta. It uses leftover turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing, gravy and whatever vegetables you have on hand. Scroll down halfway on the page to find the recipe.