There are some ambitious plans being made for this October. The Right2Know March will kick off on October 1, 2011 in New York City and continue its way down the East Cost through Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Delaware, Maryland and ending at the White House in Washington, D.C.
What do the marchers want the right to know? They want to the right to know if the food they are eating has been made with genetically modified organisms, commonly known as GMO’s, also called Frankenfoods by some.
In many parts of the world, GMO’s aren’t allowed because they haven’t been proven safe. Other countries have mandatory labeling laws to inform consumers. Here in the United States, they are widely used, but foods that contain GMO’s aren’t labeled. It’s estimated that 80 percent of the foods in our grocery stores contain GMO ingredients.
According to the Non-GMO Project, growing evidence shows that rather than being safe like proponents claim, GMO’s
- can be toxic, allergenic or less nutritious than their natural counterparts
- can disrupt the ecosystem, damage vulnerable wild plant and animal populations and harm biodiversity
- increase chemical inputs (pesticides, herbicides) over the long term
- deliver yields that are no better, and often worse, than conventional crops
- cause or exacerbate a range of social and economic problems
- are laboratory-made and, once released, harmful GMOs cannot be recalled from the environment.
Anyone who wants to participate in the march doesn’t need to do the full 16 days. You can do a short stretch of the march or simply go to one of the stopping points where there will speakers, presentations, camping and more. If you can’t make it to the East Coast for the march, but you want to support the cause, you can make a tax-deductible donation.
I’m attempting to convince my best friend Susan who lives in one of the Maryland cities where the march will be stopping to join with me and march for the Right to Know. If she opts out, I’ll probably join the march when it hits Princeton, N.J.
How about you? Are you going to march to demand your Right to Know?