I asked my friends on Facebook who are vegetarian or make it a point to go meatless frequently what options they find at fast food restaurants. Most of them had similar suggestions.
- At Wendy’s you can get a salad and baked potato.
- At Taco Bell you can get beans instead of meat in a burrito.
- Burger King now has a veggie burger.
What does sound worth a trip, however, are some of the new fast-food style restaurants that are popping up that cater to healthy food and offer vegetarian options that are worth eating.
- In Philadelphia, there’s Hip City Veg. It’s a vegan restaurant that’s “fast, fresh and 100% plant based.” The independent restaurant offers salads, plant based sandwiches, sweet potato fries and more and does a bustling business.
- Chicago’s Brother Tim’s Vegetarian Fast Food has nothing but vegetarian and vegan options of foods you’ll find on regular fast food restaurant menus – burgers, dogs, chili, tacos…
- In San Diego, Evolution Fast Food specializes in plant-based burgers, fries, organic juices and shakes.
- The fast-food burger chain Elevation Burger that uses organic, grass fed beef in it’s burgers has veggie burger – one that’s fire roasted and has more of a traditional burger taste and one that tastes like veggies.
Until then, I found a resource that helps locate vegetarian and vegan restaurants, or restaurants they call “veg-friendly,” near you. It’s Happy Cow, and it help you find restaurants based on your zip code. The link will take you to their website, but they also have apps for Apple and Android devices.
Related vegetarian stories on MNN: