MNN Galleries

11 food rules you should ignore

By: Mary Jo DiLonardo on Feb. 15, 2017, 11:02 a.m.
mushrooms submerged in water

Photo: PeterPhoto123/Shutterstock

2 of 13

Mushrooms shouldn't be rinsed

Some people refuse to wash fungi because they're afraid the 'shrooms will absorb all the water, swell up, and lose their distinctive taste. Instead, they meticulously wipe or brush them to remove the dirt — but a quick rinse is OK. Mushrooms are more than 90 percent water, so even if they absorb a little more moisture, their flavor won't change all that much.