A highly versatile dish requiring eggs and whatever tasty bits are handy. You can swap in alternative ingredients like so:
Cheese: Smoked Gouda or Gruyere
Herbs: Thyme or oregano
Meat: Cooked Canadian bacon or chorizo
Vegetables: Sauteed mushrooms or green onions
Prep time: 10 minutes
Total time: 20 minutes
Yield: Makes 1 serving
- 1/2 teaspoon butter
- 1 wedge ready-made polenta
- 2 eggs
- 1 slice provolone cheese, chopped
- 1 teaspoon Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil and marjoram, chopped fine
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream (optional)
- Dash sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Lightly coat inside of medium-sized custard dish with butter from top to bottom. Place polenta on bottom and layer with provolone. Crack 2 eggs and gently pour over the provolone. Add Parmesan and herbs.
- Place on center rack of oven and cook for 12 minutes, or until eggs set. The finished result resembles a mini souffle.