Spinach and Smoked Gouda Quiche
Don't be intimidated by quiche — a hot oven does most of the work.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes
Yield: Makes 8 slices
- 1 ready-made pie crust
- 1 bag baby spinach, about 3 cups, chopped
- 3 eggs
- 3 ounces smoked Gouda, grated
- 6 ounces 2 percent milk
- Pinch of kosher salt
- Pinch of black pepper
- Pinch of ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup green onions, tops removed and chopped
- Thaw pie crust according to package directions. Rinse and pat dry spinach. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In mixing bowl, combine eggs, cheese and milk. Stir until well blended, about 1 minute. Add salt, pepper, nutmeg and pine nuts. Stir and set aside, about 1 minute.
- Lightly coat shallow 7 1/2-inch baking dish with oil. Roll out pie crust. Line dish, crimping excess crust from edges. Using the tines of a fork, poke holes on bottom.
- Sautee green onions in remaining olive oil over medium-high heat until tender, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add spinach. Cook until spinach turns bright green and wilts. Remove from pan and add to mixing bowl. Stir until blended, about 1 minute.
- Pour contents into baking dish. Place on center rack of oven. Remove in 30 minutes. Cool slightly and serve hot.