Sweet Potato and Black Bean Quesadilla
Quick, convenient and tasty, the alpha and omega of fast food that's actually good food.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Total time: 20 minutes
Yield: Serves 2-4
- 1 medium-sized sweet potato
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1/2 medium-sized sweet onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 4 6-inch flour tortillas
- 1/2 cup canned black beans, drained
- 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- Dollop ready-made salsa (optional)
- Poke holes in sweet potato and microwave 10 minutes, until soft.
- While the potato cooks, heat first teaspoon of oil in skillet over medium-high heat, about 2 minutes. Add onion and cook until tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Add cumin, salt and pepper. Simmer until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Bank onions to side of skillet and add black beans. Heat 3 to 4 minutes and combine with onions.
- Remove potato from microwave. Cut lengthwise. Mash with fork.
- Heat remaining oil in second skillet over medium-high heat, about 2 minutes. Place tortilla in second skillet; scoop half of potato onto tortilla. Add half of black bean mix and cheese. Cook about 2 minutes. Cover with tortilla. Apply even pressure with spatula and flip. Repeat process with remaining ingredients.