It's lunch time! Which means it's quinoa time! For a wholesome and slightly out-of-the-ordinary lunch, Chef A prepares a quinoa pilaf salad. (Ashley Chase/MNN & Nick Scott/MNN)
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon of vegetable, chicken, or beef bouillon
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 1 lime, juiced
- 2-3 tablespoons agave nectar (or honey)
- Dash sea salt and cracked pepper
- 1-2 tablespoons scallions
- Dried cranberries and apricots, to taste
- 2 teaspoons fresh cilantro
- Pistachios, to taste
- Golden raisins, to taste
Bring 1 cup of water and 1 teaspoon of bouillon to a rapid boil.
Stir 1/2 cup of quinoa in to boiling liquid and reduce to a simmer. Simmer for 15-20 minutes.
Allow quinoa to cool for 15 minutes.
As you wait for the quinoa to cool, you can take that time to prepare the dressing. Simply mix the juice of 1 lime, 2-3 tablespoons of agave nectar (or honey), and salt & pepper to taste.
Once the quinoa has cooled, add scallions, dried cranberries, fresh cilantro, 2-3 teaspoons of pistachios (or nut of choice), raisins, and dried apricots (all to taste).
Add dressing to quinoa mixture and lightly stir. Enjoy!