Last Saturday night, my friend threw a surprise birthday party for her husband. She had it catered, and the caterer brought a crazy amount of food. She had several pounds of both steak and chicken leftover at the end of the night. I pointed her to 10 recipes to use of leftover steak, but she also needs some idea for the chicken breasts.
Here you go, Challey. Hopefully these recipes will help you and other use up their leftover chicken.
Barbeque Chicken Flatbread – This calls for shredded barbeque chicken. It would be simple to take some of the leftover chicken breasts, add some sauce to it, and then continue on with this recipe. This uses cheddar cheese, but mozzarella would work well on it, too.
- Spinach and Roast Chicken Lasagna Cups – Muffin tins are lined with wonton wrappers then filled with leftover shredded chicken and lasagna fillings. They can be made a day ahead of time and then popped in the oven to make dinner prep really easy.
- Kickin Chicken Hash – Hash is a great way to use any leftover meat and once you’re your base of potatoes, you can throw just about any vegetable in it. This version is full of healthy greens, garlic and chilis.
- White Bean Chicken Chili with Kale – The name about says it all. Full of heat and healthy ingredients, this chili is perfect for some of the upcoming chilly nights we’ll be having soon.
- Chicken Pot Pie – One of the best uses of leftover chicken in my opinion. Comfort food at its finest.
- Pea and Chicken Risotto – A meal all in one, I bet this recipe could be adapted easily for an oven-baked risotto that’s less hands-on than a traditional version.
- Chicken Croquettes – This version has Indian seasonings for a nice spicy take on the usually bland breaded, fried croquettes.
- Chicken, Fig, Basil and Goat Cheese Panini – This looks absolutely delicious and is extra cheesy, which always works for me.
- Skinny Southwest Chicken Dip – Greek Yogurt instead of mayo is used in this dip that’s loaded with beans and veggies as well as leftover shredded chicken.
- Chicken Noodle Soup – You can’t forget that leftover chicken is perfect in soup. This is my favorite recipe that my family loves.
I hope this gives Challey plenty of ideas to use up all that leftover chicken. She shouldn’t have to shop for meat for months! Do you have any other ideas for her to make those chicken breasts into new dishes?
Also on MNN
- 10 uses for leftover cooked hamburgers
- 6 ways to use up leftover barbecue sauce
- How safe are those leftovers?