I know as well as anyone how hectic weekend mornings can be and how tempting it is to fall back on cold cereal. There are usually one or two boxes of organic cereal on top of my refrigerator just in case (and just in case happens much more frequently than I’m comfortable with).
The beauty of cold cereal is not that it’s all that great, it’s that it’s ready in a minute. I’ve hunted down five other breakfasts that can be ready in a minute in the morning if you do some preparation the night before. Pull out your slow cooker and wake to the smell of ready-to-eat breakfast.
- Slow Cooker Banana Walnut Oatmeal – Slow cooker oatmeal is perfect for a quick morning meal, and the combination of whole grains, bananas and walnuts will keep bellies full until the lunch bell rings.
- Breakfast Burrito Filling – Lean pork, eggs, vegetables and spices cook overnight and are ready to fill a tortilla for a fast breakfast that can be eaten on the walk to school if necessary.
- Slow Cooker Baked Apples – Raisins, honey and cinnamon simmer all night with green apples to make a sweet, healthy breakfast that will make kids run to the kitchen.
- Crockpot Whole Grain Breakfast Cereal – So different from cold, pre-packaged cereal, this cereal mix uses six different whole grains that cook overnight. In the morning, add natural sweeteners, fresh or dried fruits, or nuts to customize this fiber-rich, natural hot cereal.
- Crockpot Breakfast Risotto – Apples, brown sugar and spices get mixed with Arborio rice and slow cooked overnight for a creamy morning nourishing breakfast.