We’ve been chowing down on the melons around here lately because they’re in season and priced right. Cantaloupe is a favorite, but I’ve never done anything with a cantaloupe except cut it up and serve it fresh.
I started wondering how I could use cantaloupe in a cocktail, and in researching it, I found many creative ways to use this sweet melon. Here are five recipes that I’m saving for future reference.
- Chilled Melon Soup with Ginger and Habanero – This cold, summer soup brings the heat with spices. It’s sort of like a gazpacho with both cantaloupe and watermelon.
- Spiced Cantaloupe Tea Loaf – Here’s something I wouldn’t have thought to use cantaloupe in – a quick bread. The cantaloupe is grated and makes for a very moist, sweet bread.
- Prosciutto-Wrapped Burgers with Cantaloupe Slaw – Another combination I wouldn’t have thought of. Melon and prosciutto are a popular pairing, but adding it to a burger? Intriguing.
- Cantaloupe Jam with Vanilla – This recipe makes a small batch of jam that you can eat right away or preserve so you can have the flavor of cantaloupe in the middle of winter.
- Vodka Cantaloupe Cocktail – Vodka. Lime. Cantaloupe. Ginger ale. Sounds good to me.
Also on MNN