Gardens, farmers markets and roadside stands are bursting with sugar snap peas this time of year. These sweet, crispy vegetables are a great addition to a raw vegetable snack with some homemade ranch dip, but they’re also great in a variety of dishes. Try one of these recipes if you’re looking for a way to use up the bounty of sugar snap peas.
- Sugar Snap Pea Soup with Mint and Lemon – This soup is completely different from the thick pea soup you normally eat in winter. It’s lighter and brighter, and makes use of not only the abundance of peas but also the mint that’s overtaking your garden right about now.
- Chopped Salad Recipe with Sugar Snap Peas, Jicama, Radishes, Tomatoes, and Green Garbanzo Beans – The title of this recipe says it all. Tons of fresh, seasonal vegetables with some garbanzo beans added for a little protein. A light homemade lemony salad dressing finishes it off.
- Crock Pot Barley Pilaf with Summer Squash, Sugar Snap Peas and Fresh Berries with Citrus Mint Dressing – Slow cookers are great in the summer. They cook dinner without heating up the house. The pilaf cooks slowly, and the fresh vegetables are added right before serving.
- Orzo and Herb Sugar Snap Peas – Peas, scallions and dill fill this pasta side dish or vegetarian main dish with flavor. Use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth and it can be vegan.
- Kale Dip with Snap Peas – This fresh dip made with kale can be used as a dip for many vegetables, but this recipe cooks sugar snap peas slightly to make them a crunchy dipper for the dip.