Leftover shrimp. It’s never happened before in my house. But last night, I made more food than we could eat to celebrate the end of swim team season for my 11-year-old. I made shrimp scampi, steak, sautéed mushrooms, baked potatoes, peas and chocolate cake. It was quite a feast.
I now have leftover shrimp and steak. I already know what to do with leftover steak, but I spent a little time today finding ideas for the leftover shrimp. I know I need to use it by tomorrow night at the latest — shrimp goes bad quickly.
- Garlic Shrimp Casserole – This recipe by Alton Brown calls for leftover garlic shrimp as well as leftover rice. I’m sure shrimp scampi would work just fine.
- Shrimp Alfredo Pasta-less Zucchini Pasta – Julienned zucchini instead of pasta creates a base for leftover shrimp scampi and tomatoes and it’s all topped with Alfredo.
- Shrimp Pasta Salad – There is already garlic and lemon in this cold pasta salad, so adding leftover shrimp scampi instead of plain shrimp will probably just complement what’s already there.
- Shrimp and Potato Croquettes – You’re already halfway done with this recipe because the shrimp is already cooked. Cooked shrimp goes in the food processor with mashed potatoes and cheese to create a filling for croquettes. *Although all the recipe ideas are good, I think this is the recipe I’ll be giving a shot.
- Shrimp and Wasabi Deviled Eggs – Finely minced cook shrimp go into these gourmet deviled eggs. If wasabi isn’t your thing, you can substitute Dijon mustard.
Related on MNN: