I've made several batches of corn bread this fall. It’s such a great side dish when I’m serving soups, meatloaf or chili. As the weather gets cholder, those dishes get put in heavy rotation in our house.
My cornbread recipe makes a large skillet full of cornbread, and I often have half of the bread leftover after a meal. It can be reheated and eaten the next day, but it loses a little something. Instead, I’ve decided to see how I can use cornbread in other ways. Here’s what I came up with:
- Corn Bread Stuffing – I chose a random corn bread stuffing recipe to link to on Food Network, but there are thousands of variations of corn bread stuffing to choose from online. With Thanksgiving just two weeks away, this is a great idea for using up leftover corn bread.
- Corn Bread Pudding – One way to use up any leftover bread is to make a bread pudding. This one is sweetened with maple syrup instead of sugar.
- Cornbread Crumbs - Leftover cornbread makes easy homemade breadcrumbs. Just crumble or cube the cornbread, place on a baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees F until dry and crunchy. Whirl in the food processor or blender and store in an airtight container. I keep mine in the freezer.
- Corn Bread Panzanella – My first instinct wouldn’t be to use corn bread in what is traditionally an Italian peasant dish, but this recipe by Giada Di Laurentiis for using up stale corn bread has a 5-star rating from 60 users. And I usually find that Giada's recipes are as good as they look.
- Cornbread "Migas" - Cube some up and brown it with a little oil, stir in some beaten eggs, chopped green onion, cooked sausage or mushrooms, and when the eggs have set, sprinkle with grated cheese. Sort of Southern-style Migas. (Idea from Angela, blogger at Seasonal & Savory)
- Mexican Sausage and Corn Bread Strata – An overnight breakfast dish where corn bread and the other ingredients are covered with an egg mixture. In the morning, pop it in the oven, and you’ve got breakfast.
- Corn Bread Croutons – Make great toppings for soup or chili.
- Slice, spread with butter, pan fry and drizzle with maple syrup. (idea from Stephen Wilson of The Sweet Life Bakery in Vineland, New Jersey, and one of MNN’s 40 chefs under 40)
- Corn Bread Crusted Chicken Nuggets – The corn bread instead of regular bread crumbs gives baked chicken nuggets a less crispy texture but a unique flavor.